Literacy Lift Off
Evidence-based reading intervention
Literacy Lift Off is an evidence-based intervention that gives children lots of opportunities to read books at their own level of competency and gradually raises the complexity of what they can do in both reading and writing. The PM+ levelled reading scheme, which is a costly requirement for Literacy Lift Off, was purchased as a result of various school fundraising events.
It is a daily literacy hour where SEN teachers in collaboration with class teachers work with the children three days of the week for six to eight weeks, in four 15 minute rotating sessions on a range of literacy activities.
These activities include;
- Rereading familiar books to build fluency and confidence
- Being introduced to and attempting to read a new book
- Composing and recording their own sentences
- Reconstructing the sentences which have been cut-up
- Exploring how words work using magnetic letters and whiteboards.
- Computer work – reading on-line books
Some of the benefits of Literacy Lift Off:
- Increased level of literacy (determined by Pre and Post Programme assessments)
- Promotes inclusion as children gain new confidence levels which enables them to better access other class reading materials and become more able to participate in the wider curriculum
- Strengthens the link between home and school
- Gives many opportunities in small groups to practice reading and writing skills
- Children actively involved in their own learning
- Children have fun, enjoy the programme and really look forward to coming to school.