The role of the Student Council is to:
- provide an opportunity for pupils to voice their opinions and offer suggestions in relation to many aspects of school life
- discuss issues relevant to our school and encourage and promote initiatives from the pupils
- offer an opportunity for all pupils to voice their opinions on proposed changes and thereby play a very significant role in improving our school
- act as a channel of communication within the school organisation between pupils and between home and school
- encourage pupils to organise events central to the life of the school
- provide an opportunity to raise funds for charities or for school funds.
The Council has an important role to play in the organisation of Open Days, special occasions, special presentations of Flags/Awards/Certificates, etc., and having an input into relevant school policies.
Through our Student Council we hope to give our pupils a more active role in the organisation of our school and ensure they are listened to and respected for their ideas and concerns. It involves the students in many of the decisions that are made regarding students in Scoil Fhionáin.
Discussions in classes and at Council meetings help to develop social and learning skills in many areas including speaking and listening, problem solving, brainstorming and the decision-making process.
In addition to their role in communicating and problem-solving, the Student
Council acts as an agent for school news, as journalists and reporters through
notices for the School Newsletter, putting up posts on our website and Facebook page
and putting notices on their own board. It is hoped that this makes school news
more child-orientated and more engaging for the student body.
Scoil Fhionáin, are very proud of the role played by our students in
developing our school and believe that we achieve a more peasant and vibrant
learning environment, as a result.